Tuesday, April 21, 2015

The Spider and the Firefly


This is a folktale from Liberia, translated from the Vai language by a family friend, Vaani Gray. My family lived in Liberia during the 1950s, and my mother became deeply involved in the study of Vai. I recently found this story and one other among her papers.

Long, long ago, there was a great famine. Food matter was a real problem all over the world. Leopard decided to build a fence across the water to catch fish. Now it was from this fence that Spider and Firefly used to steal fish every night. Whenever it was time for them to go, Firefly would give light in order that they might not miss the way.

Leopard was confused. Every morning when he came to the fence he found fish scales on the bank. But when he looked in the fence he could see nothing.

One evening Spider and Firefly came and stole some fish from the fence. Then they started dividing the fish. Spider took all the big fish and gave all the small ones to Firefly. He did this all the time, cheating Firefly. Now Firefly was fed up, and planned how he could pay Spider back. He said, "I will pay Spider for what he is doing."

When they went to the fence the next night they caught plenty fish as usual. Spider did the same trick, swindling Firefly. They tied up their kinjas and started home. As they were nearing the place where the road branched out to Leopard's, Firefly put out the light. Spider missed his way and took the path to Leopard's in the very dark night. Soon he reached Leopard's house. He went right up and knocked on the door. He thought it was his house. He called to his wife and said, "Ngekuchu, Ngekuchu, open the door."

Leopard got up gently and opened the door. Spider entered and threw down the kinja of fish. Leopard was lying on the bed and he covered himself. Spider thought Leopard was his wife. As he touched him a little, Leopard sprang up and took hold of Spider's hands and said, "Spider, you have been going to my fence and stealing my fish. It is God that hands you over to me. I will kill you."

And Spider said, "My uncle, I did not go to steal fish from your fence. I do not want you to have the trouble of going to the fence every morning. Therefore I went and brought your fish to you."

Leopard said, "All right, wait until tomorrow."

Morning broke, but they never saw Spider again.

No comments: