Thursday, July 9, 2009

Three Parts Of A Summer Day


Suddenly it is summer,
though not with perfect certainty.
The hurrying winds run up the hill,
ruffle the marsh's uncut fur,
and shingle the slate blue roof of the river.
My dog is grateful for the gifts they bring:
Hail, long-absent rotting scent!

In the yard the children play, creating
incidents we fail to see are memories.
Spinning, they spin the present as it passes
into threads of recollection,
woven as they weave into strong cloth
that they will wear but not wear out.

On such a day, the world appears a puzzle,
and these anxious hands can't put it down.
I could speak of this forever
and never say it more than mildly right.
I'm beginning to think that God is clear understanding,
or perhaps a letting go,
and surely His quiet prompting
by this meaningful day is just
to help me understand that He has told me so.

July 9 2009

No comments: